ISPP Teaching Symposium 2006 Forum Index ISPP Teaching Symposium 2006
Welcome to the Symposium Forums. Please contribute

SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Structured Content vrs Assignments

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Enriching Classes Using the News Media by Gail Schumann
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Stewart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Structured Content vrs Assignments Reply with quote

Hi Gail,

Interesting paper. You say..

>Rather than lecture for the entire time, short lectures are
>interspersed with group discussions, simple hands-on
>laboratory exercises, and presentations by the students

Given that the exercises replace some formal lectures, do you find you have to cut back on actual plant pathology "content" as such (e.g. principles, disease types etc.)? Is this an issue?
Gail Schumann

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: core biology course Reply with quote

Hi Terry-
Good point. Please note that this is done in a "core" biology course
that enrolls primarily non-science students- not a traditional plant
pathology course. Thus, I am using plant pathology and agriculture
as vehicles to demonstrate biological principles- and specific diseases
and content are not so important. I would have difficulty using so much
time like this where lecture prepares students for a traditional lab where
inquiry and discussion are included.
Darin Eastburn

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Structured Content vrs Assignments Reply with quote

Terry Stewart wrote:
Given that the exercises replace some formal lectures, do you find you have to cut back on actual plant pathology "content" as such (e.g. principles, disease types etc.)? Is this an issue?

This is an issue that gets mentioned a lot during discussions of implementing active learning practices in the classroom, and I admit that I struggle with it myself. I have to remind myself that my covering more material during the lecture period does not necessarily mean that the students are learning more. In fact, they may be learning less because they are overwhelmed with information and do not know what to focus on. Studies have found that retention and understanding of information is greatly improved by engaging the students in active learning. However, even knowing this I have a hard time deciding what not to cover, because it is all important and/or interesting to me. I usually ask my self “what do I really want the student to remember (or understand) about this material one or two years from now”, and use that as my guide for selecting what to focus on and what to leave out.
mbriley

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Remembering Reply with quote

Darin,
I think all of us who use active learning activities feel that we leave out a lot of things that we think we should cover but if the students are remembering the things that we do cover for longer periods of time have we not gained in the overall scheme of things?
I at least feel like if the students remember the material past an exam into the next year or several years down the road I have been successful.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Enriching Classes Using the News Media by Gail Schumann All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum